Monday, March 2, 2009

Questions

Last week in class I really enjoyed the video that taught us about the use of questions in the classroom. Today I decided to try it myself. I was happy with the results! I had questions that I wanted the students to think about. I didn't want just one student to think about it and tell everyone else there opinion. So I had to ask them to keep the opinions to themselves for just a few moments. Some could hardly contain there excitment to answer, while others found themselves on the fringe of boredom, but I believe as a whole the class took a step in the correct direction of becoming a thinking class.

ps. the hardest part is thinking of the best possible question to ask. And don't make the question too easy.

4 comments:

  1. I agree, the hardest part of questioning is thinking of a question to make the students think! But as you said, it's eventually going to be worth the effort, and it will (hopefully)help students to begin to think on their own, and not simply regurgitate information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whooohooo! I am so proud of you to try these strategies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the idea of having the students write their answers on a white board, and then hold them up for us to check. Makes it more like a game for the students, which makes them happy and want to participate, and in turn that makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that worked for you. I have a few kids in my classes that are "answer-hogs" which makes it difficult for all of the students to participate. I've been thinking of trying some of the strategies we've been learning about but haven't decided which one to do first. I don't want to purchase anything so I think I'll try a think-pair-share as an opener. I'll try your method of giving students a set amount of time to think of the answer before I call on anyone after the T-P-S. It's good to see that it works for your classes!

    ReplyDelete