Thursday, March 12, 2009

Watching PE

For one of my observations in Ray's class I watched a PE class, weightlifting. There were many things that I saw in the class that I liked and would like to try to implement into my class, but also somethings that were just two different to be used in math. One thing I liked was that the kids could get started and monitor themselves during warm up. I thought this was great, and would like to get my students to do this with their math warm ups. Then they went into the weight room and started lifting, again it was done with minimal instruction because they knew what they should be doing. I liked this a lot because it showed that the students had the routine down. However I believe that in math instruction is needed, and that students could not be asked to cover a whole lesson with out any help from me.

1 comment:

  1. It has to be a mix of leading and letting them go, yes? Or maybe teaching procedures and giving them the reins to go ahead? I went to an art workshop for art teachers last fall. One approach they presented was to have centers for each medium, and after students receive basic instructions, they are turned loose to do whatever projects they choose. I could see using that approach at times, but having seen how unstructured time can be unproductive time, it might not be the best procedure for the students on a regular basis. It seems teaching is somewhat like parenting: Finding the right balance of instruction, guidance, expectations, and giving them independence. Oh, yeah, and consequences and accountability, but that's another blog.

    ReplyDelete